Dryer Fires - A Common Problem...
Lack of maintenance is the leading cause of dryer fires with lint cited as the main element to ignite. Fires may be caused by:
- Mechanical or electrical failure;
- Drying fabric not suitable for dryers;
- Insufficient airflow as a result of improper installation.
In the event of any doubt, call Nettoyage Dry-Sec, your dryer vent specialist in the greater metropolitan area. For an evaluation, call 514 337-5111.
Causes and solutions to dryer fires
Reduced air flow and lint accumulation in ducts leads to dryers’ overheating and prevents them from drying quickly.
In this situation, the high temperature thermal safety fuse is continually activated (starting/stopping) and may thereafter fail. This results in higher operating costs than usual and can eventually cause a costly and dangerous dryer fire.
In the event of any doubt, call Nettoyage Dry-Sec, your residential and commercial dryer vent specialist in the greater metropolitan area. For an evaluation, call 514 337-5111.
Watch for warning signs
- Clothing (specifically towels and jeans) take a long time to dry.
- Clothing is warmer than usual by the end of the cycle.
- The flaps on the exterior exit vent do not open while the dryer is running.
- The dryer continuously turns itself off before the end of its cycle.
The technician checklist
- The duct must have a 4-inch diameter, the same diameter as the outlet on the dryer.
- The concealed duct must be made of rigid or semi-rigid metal, either galvanized steel or aluminum.
- Pipe joints must be secured with foil tape, never use screws or rivets.
- The corrugated portion of the pipe should point outward.
- Pipe joints must be secured with foil tape (never use screws or rivets).
- The corrugated side of the pipe should point outward.
- The dryer vent must be independent of all other exhaust systems.
- The vent must be vented to the outside of the residence. This exterior vent must be equipped with a check valve.
- The use of a metal connecting pipe in the back of the dryer is required.
- The use of a vinyl connecting pipe is forbidden.
Start saving today with Nettoyage Dry-Sec, your dryer vent cleaning specialist!
The use of appropriate ventilation equipment will ensure optimum performance and extend the life cycle of the dryer. When clothing aeration is done properly, it will dry faster, thus reducing energy consumption. By the same token, clothing suffers less of the potential damage from tumbling.